Simple steps Re: [ale] Another SSH Release?

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 17 14:34:36 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 13:54, Chris Ricker wrote:

> Are you sure you're using the RH init script? I routinely restart ssh
> remotely (/etc/init.d/sshd restart) on RH boxes w/o issue. I did that for
> all my RH boxes yesterday, for example...

Well, I don't really know what the rpm did because my ssh session was
truncated so suddenly.  In this case I did a "rpm -Uhv openssh*.rpm"
which covered openssh-clients, openssh, and
openssh-server.  I have no idea what order they were processed, I do
suspect that all sessions were killed by one of the first 2 rpm, and
that openssh-server was the last rpm to be installed.  I further suspect
that killing my ssh session also caused "rpm -Uhv ..." to cancel....
thus leaving me where I am today.

I think the common consensus is that there are a lot of preventable
things I could have done.... But I (humbly) ask, should you ever have to
worry that updating an RPM might kill all your sessions?

-Jim P