[ale] (ot)Search Engines

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Sep 2 15:57:40 EDT 2003

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 04:10:31PM -0400, J.M. Taylor wrote:
> There isn't a way, unless you pay for an ad.  Google has got a faq on how
> they rank their results up at http://www.google.com/technology/index.html.

I did not see a link on the index page but if you can crack the
page below then you can get above the people who pay

http://www.google.com/technology/pigeonrank.html
>  They're also taking longer to put their results up, because there's just
> *so much* to go thru, so if you want to get noticed and quickly you're
> going to have have the money for an ad, or rely on Overture to place you
> on non-Google search engines.

I read on USA Today where google accounted for over a majority of seraches
on the web.  I would skip Overture and look at my options and buget for
advertising with Google.  There is not such thing as advertising
on google but you can have a sponsered link and pay per click.  I'm not
sure who uese Yahoo search and others anymore in the tech world.  Of course
we sell tech products you may sell consumer based goods.  Grandma may not
use google may only use Yahoo and she could be a target.