[ale] Bandwidth tracking

griffisb at bellsouth.net griffisb at bellsouth.net
Tue Sep 2 16:00:37 EDT 2003

> From: "Nick Travis" <linuxnews at wormfishin.com>
> Date: 2003/09/02 Tue PM 01:35:53 EDT
> To: <ale at ale.org>
> Subject: Re: [ale] Bandwidth tracking
>
> i'll be monitoring hosts on a IBM token ring switch...

I guess we need to define what you are looking for, then. Maybe I read it wrong - but my best guess was that you have a Local Area Network with multiple hosts. You are looking for bandwidth utilization for each of the hosts physically located on your LAN. If that is true - the next step is to check your IBM Token Ring hub or switch. If it's a newer switch, it should support SNMP. Check the model number and do a quick search. If it's an ancient 8228 MAU, then you will not have SNMP support (well I don't think so - but they are OLD!!!).

If you are looking for bandwidth utilization for each of the hosts on your LAN, and you have SNMP on either the switch or the hosts - MRTG can do that for you. Once that is up and running, you can go for a pretty front-end (like routers.cgi, that is pretty user-friendly).