[ale] bittorrent gain?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Oct 16 08:34:27 EDT 2003

I think you missed a subtle point about bittorrent. It is not so much
designed for faster downloads to you as it is designed to distribute the
download process away from the originating host. There are some flags
that can limit your serving upload speeds.

That said, I did a bit torrent download of slackware 9.1 a week ago or
so and it came in a bit faster than a dedicated download from GaTech
mirrors. It wasn't noticeably faster (or slower). But I did see my
outgoing bandwidth max out after about 10 minutes.