[ale] Publisher for Linux

Jim Philips jcphil at mindspring.com
Sat Nov 29 12:18:11 EST 2003

On Saturday 29 November 2003 11:24 am, hbbs at comcast.net wrote:
> > On Friday 28 November 2003 11:37 pm, hbbs at comcast.net wrote:
> > | The learning curve thing is a problem for working with Lyx, TeTeX, etc.
> > | Barring the use of canned styles, the notion of designing a document
> > | before typing word one is off-putting to many, I'm sure.
> >
> > I would gently suggest that such folk get over it.
>
> My gentle suggestions that pigs should fly still go unheeded.  People who
> haven't seen any more than Word in their working lives typically go
> apoplectic at a mere verbal description of Lyx.  That those same people
> will practically go insane trying to get all of their paragraphs and
> headings to line up with each other and get the font and point size uniform
> after pasting from various sources is but a testament to the futility that
> is life.

And people who use word processing programs just take it for granted that they
don't do math. Back when I was dabbling in real estate, I needed a program
that could give me nicely formatted equations. Try doing that in a word
processor! It took me about five minutes to learn how to do it in Lyx, and
everything looked great.