[ale] Publisher for Linux

hbbs at comcast.net hbbs at comcast.net
Fri Nov 28 17:27:36 EST 2003

How about "MS Publisher produces pretty petunia pictures particulary promptly?"

If, on the other hand, you meant "alternative,"  I think the "Unix way" here involves apps related to LaTex, such as the Lyx editor.

This is not a "What You See Is What You Get" editing environment but rather a "What You See Is What You Meant" one in which you first define the document's structure and then populate the contents accordingly.  The formatting is therefore completely uniform in accordance with the defined structure and not set on a line-by-line or paragraph-by-paragraph basis.

I'm not certain, but I believe that OpenOffice does support a similar mode of operation but not to the extent that what you see in the editor doesn't necessarily look anything like the printed page.

- Jeff