[ale] Georgia Computing Standards Explicitly Disallow Linux

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Nov 26 17:21:36 EST 2003

As I read it, Linux is not approved for deployment as a desktop/laptop
OS. With reservations, I can understand _WHY_ GTA would say that (can
barely support Windows. Can't afford to train staff to learn to support
Linux). I disagree, of course.

However, the server category is listed in another document somewhere. I
would be very shocked to see Linux on the disapproved list there.

It is interesting to note that I was recently involved in a proposal to
provide front-line helpdesk support for the GDHR (Ga. Dept of Human
Resources). The GTA used to provide that service but was removed from
that duty as they were deemed incapable of doing the job well enough.