[ale] OT - Best newtork switches...

Jeffrey B. Layton laytonjb at comcast.net
Wed Nov 26 16:36:38 EST 2003

Well, are you interested in bandwidth? Do you need only
IP (not Mac junk or other junk)? If so, I would rank things
in this order ((better to worse)

Force10 (GigE only, but very good)
Foundry (love 'em!)
Extreme
HP Procurve (pick these carefully because some of them are
   basically Foundry switches - could find a good deal).
Everything else

There may be a few others above the "Everything else"
category, but I don't have enough experience with them.
   Personally I love Foundry and I've heard good things
about HP Pro curve. The Force10 switches I've tested on
give good performance (low latency, excellent bandwidth)
but I've never played with one up close and personal.
   So, if I had to guess, I'd guess HP Procurve.

Good Luck!

Jeff