[ale] SuSE Package Management Was: OT: C++ .NET or C++ Builder

Keith Hopkins hne at hopnet.net
Sat Nov 22 09:38:12 EST 2003

Christopher Fowler wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 22, 2003 at 08:39:22AM -0500, Geoffrey wrote:
>
>>>What tools does Suse use to manage packages and updates? Yast?
>>
>>Yast would be the non-X tool.  Yast2 is the X gui.
>

> Does SuSE have an up2date like system?  Will I be notified
> when an update has been released?

   SuSE has YOU!  YAST Online Update.  Notified? Yes, if you run the tool, and/or subscribe to the appropriate mailing list.  It does not run in the background like up2date can.

   BTW, SuSE uses RPMs as a base for YAST/2 & YOU to run on top of.

   I've come to like using Ximian's Red Carpet(2) to keep my systems up to date.  There is the rcd (red carpet daemon) which keeps your SW lists up to date of what is available, red-carpet (GIU) and rug (CLI).  The RC GUI still need a little spit & polish, but works find for most things.  I really like the rug/rcd combo.  I maintain SuSE 8.1 and 8.3 and a RH7.3 system with Red-Carpet (standard, not Express).  Oh & their mirrors are fast!

--
Lost in Tokyo,
   Keith