[ale] OT: Bank of America

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Nov 20 07:59:12 EST 2003

George Johnson wrote:

> My brother is a CPA for the company that makes the photos for Cabellas
> catalog.  BofA is one of the banks that he refuses to use.

I'm currently with Maco FCU courtesy of my wife (school system).  If you
have access to a credit union go that route.  Anymore, they're pretty
open to new members.  I know you have to have some kind of relationship,
but anymore just about everyone does in one way or another.

Maco's online banking and online bill pay are the first I've used that
work flawlessly with Mozilla.  I was previously with Suntrust and
Wachovia and left them both because of the rediculous fees they charge
as well as the non-existent customer service.  I pay nothing for my
accounts at Maco, including online banking/bill pay.  It is REALLY free
banking.

When Suntrust first started using online banking, they claimed it
required a 128 bit ssl connection.  The first thing I tried was turning
off 128 bit, and guess what?  I got right in anyway.  They also
published stupid information regarding passwords/ids. (id hint: your id
is 9 digits and very likely your ssn).

When I left Wachovia I had to fill out some paper work.  On one of the
documents there was a section for why I was leaving.  The chick had
already filled it out indicating that I was a satisfied customer, but no
longer needed the services.  I told her that was not accurate, but she
was not interested in my concerns.  Wachovia is just too bloody big to
give a damn.

> As it goes with BofA moving jobs to India, I have given up working in
> the computer field because of it.  I am getting into real estate.  I
> figure, what do I have to lose.  I have gotten fed up with the layoffs.
> It is not going to happen to me again if I have anything to say about
> it.  I guess my Linux usage will just be a hobby from now on, which is
> where my love of computers got its start.

That's why, in my 'life after AT&T' I'm focusing on smaller local
companies.  The ones that: 1) don't have the resources to outsource
overseas, 2) Seem to better recognize a benefit in investing in their
community.

Until later, Geoffrey	esoteric at 3times25.net