[ale] server crash

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Nov 17 12:38:54 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 12:10, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 12:04, Chris Coleman wrote:
> > Whether or not core dump files will be created is determined by the ulimit command in /etc/profile. In RH9 it appears the core files are disabled by default. The command used in /etc/profile is ulimit -S -c 0 > /dev/null 2>&1. By changing 0 to a size or the keyword unlimited should create a dump file. This dump file should survive a system reboot.
> >

> Fantastic!! These are Suse systems so I'll tread carefully in the Docs.

OK. Suse uses a series of ulimit setup in /etc/profile. It has one set
in place to produce corefiles less than 20M. I can change that to what I
need. Where will it drop them?

Since this is a bash variable control command (ulimit) will this work
only for bash environment core files? Or will it work for kernel daemons
as well?

More kernel stuff:

I ran ulimit -a to find my max open file count is 1024. I then ran lsof
| wc -l to find I have 4051 open files?!?! Is the ulimit value a per
user value? It sure isn't a per system value. There are 2860 open files
in use by the oracle user.