[ale] Gnome2/Nautilus Desktop Menu?

da Black Baron dbaron13 at atl.bellsouth.net
Sat Nov 15 18:46:55 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 13:41, Mike Murphy wrote:
> a useful desktop menu is a must, but I started mucking again with gnome
> after I discovered that its got one of the smarter panel implementations
> out there (I love the custom size/custom position panels). The window
> list applet in gnome is nice too. Add to that lots and lots of nice
> themes, and on the whole its a pretty good package.
>
> xfce4 was pretty close to what I wanted, but its panel has a long way to
> go. Others I've liked but that haven't quite fit for me are AfterStep
> and iceWM. Most of the geekier WMs are nice enough for incidental work
> (for instance, the MP3 server at home has good ol' TWM on it), but at
> work, I want a little more eye candy and usability. Right now the only
> thing I haven't been able to do in gnome2 is configure the desktop menu.
>
> Mike

I'm currently running a gnome-session with FWVM-themes as a WM.  Gives
you the fully-configurable pop-up menu for programs, a pop-up for window
functions (very handy), and a pop-up for a window list (also handy).
You get your gnome panel & the other benefits of gnome, and you can cut
nautilus out of the picture entire by browsing your files with xfm.

Even if you do fire up nautilus by accident or intention, it only takes
up one window on your virtual desktop (unless you pass it some extra
command-line parameters) and you can kill it quite easily.

However, if I want a fancy fileman with bells and whistles, KFM will run
on a single desktop (without passing the command-line "root" argument to
it) and do what I want, and I get the benefits of the FVWM enviroment on
all my other desktops...  KFM is much lighter-weight than Nautilus (as
well as more functional) for a fancy fileman...  ;-)

Here's a screenshot of my current enviroment- and yes, it IS FVWM- with
an Afterstep theme... hehehe.

http://mrpooter.sytes.net/images/Screenshot-11-15-03.png

(,,oBo,,)         |           Wylde  Bill
http://lyst.org   |    wyldechylde at geocities.com

"Here's my family tree.  As far as I can tell, my
relatives were carnival folk who were touring this place called
Hiroshima in the summer of 1945.  Because they lost most of their hair,
they mostly married each other.  And here I am." --The Oblongs

                D.E.A. = State Sponsored Terrorism
          Disempowering government means empowering people.
        http://flag.blackened.net/daver/anarchism/nlm/nlm.html