[ale] bad XFS superblock

Danny Cox danscox at mindspring.com
Thu Nov 13 21:11:35 EST 2003

Drew,

On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 12:44, ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> I could not find anyone mentioning how to "fix" a superblock in XFS. Is it
> possible for me to repair this filesystem, or am I SOL? The installation had
> some nice information (bookmarks, history, special software installations)
> and I would like to recover it if I can. Anyone?

	I hit a catch-22 once.  My root XFS fs crashed, and the xfs_repair just
installed (JUST!) had a bug.  Almost hosed!  I was able to get a newer
xfs_repair from another system, and copy it to a non-hosed fs (/home, I
think), brought it up on a rescue CD, mounted /home, and ran THAT
xfs_repair on the hosed root.  Worked like a charm.

	This was with the installer they built for RedHat 7.2.  I know SuSE (or
is it SUSE [or even Novell] today ;-) includes XFS in their kernel, but
I seem to recall that it may be a tad out-of-date.

	You might try that.  It's mentioned in the XFS FAQ.  But as Greg said:
post the question to the XFS mailing list.  It's fairly active, and
quite responsive.  I'm still subscribed, and perhaps Greg is too (Hi,
Greg!).

Danny