[ale] [Fwd: FW: [EmperorLinux-os-RedHat] do not use : GLIBC update packages (from Red Hat Network)]

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Nov 13 20:24:48 EST 2003

Any Red Hat users (still) out there???

From: emperorlinux-os-redhat-bounces at lists.emperorlinux.com
[mailto:emperorlinux-os-redhat-bounces at lists.emperorlinux.com] On Behalf Of
Lincoln Durey
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 3:34 PM
To: EmperorLinux RedHat
Cc: EmperorLinux
Subject: [EmperorLinux-os-RedHat] do not use : GLIBC update packages (from
Red Hat Network)

Customers running Red Hat 9.0,

Red Hat has recently released a badly broken automatic update of GLIBC
and nptl onto their Red Hat Network (RHN) service.  Please _DO_NOT_
download this update onto your system, nor any other associated
updates.  We have received quite a few reports already from our
customers that the GLIBC update has broken their RH9 systems.

Symptoms include:
         - Inability to log in to X with Gnome
         - Can't "startx" if gnome is your WM
         - rpm broken (can't open pkg database)
         - breaks anything useing gthread-posix.c / pthread_getschedparam

> I installed the glibc, nscd, and nptl-devel stuff all using redhat
> network.  At that point, things started going wrong.  rpm would no
> longer work.  I tried a reboot, and was then no longer able to log in
> via X except via a failsafe mode.  (Both failsafe and console still
> worked, although even in those logins rpm was still broken.)

At this time we are working for a fix for these problems.  The final fix
should probably come from Red Hat, but that may take some time.

We will try to get this fixed as soon as possible.  It appears that KDE
is unaffected (so you can still get into your system to work).

	-- Lincoln

"Lincoln's Logbook", is a very informative look at interesting things
you
can do with Linux on a portable, and our "Announce" list will keep you
up-to date about all our services, and new systems/distros as they come
out.
Low-Traffic list details:
http://www.EmperorLinux.com/mailing_lists.html

|  Lincoln D. Durey, Ph.D.  |  Phone:    1-888-651-6686            |
|   Electrical Engineer     |  in GA:    (770)-612-1205            |
|     EmperorLinux          |  Fax:      (770)-612-1210            |
|     900 Circle 75 Pkwy.   |  web:      www.EmperorLinux.com      |
|     Suite 1380            |  support:  support at EmperorLinux.com  |
|     Atlanta, GA 30339     |  email:    lincoln at EmperorLinux.com  |