[ale] Gnome2/Nautilus Desktop Menu?

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Thu Nov 13 13:34:59 EST 2003

Mike Murphy wrote:
> >I'm trying out gnome2 on my RH 8 machine. I was pretty familiar with
> >gnome1.x before, but had since moved on to mucking about in KDE, FVWM
> >and XFCE4. I like gnome2 generally (once I replace gnome-terminal with
> >something a little lighter-weight, fire up gkrellm, etc.), but I can't,
> >for the life of me, figure out how to configure the desktop menu that
> >nautilus presents. Anyone know? Or maybe a better question is: is there
> >an alternative to nautilus for the desktop itself for gnome2? Its a
> >memory hog, and I have no need for fancy file manager windows, I just
> >want a usefull desktop menu.

If all you want's a useful desktop menu, I would think gnome would be
way too much baggage.  Have you looked at AfterStep or WindowMaker?
Both are small, fast window managers with very configurable menu
systems.  I prefer AfterStep myself, but WindowMaker is a bit more
"mainstream".

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 12:28:43PM -0500, Geoffrey wrote:
> Can't get any lighter weight than xterm and ls. ;)

Actually, rxvt is lighter weight than xterm :-D

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9