[ale] bad XFS superblock

ChangingLINKS.com groups at ChangingLINKS.com
Thu Nov 13 12:48:56 EST 2003

My Suse 8.2 crashed M$FT style while I was using ymessenger.
When I tried to I reboot it, it gave an error (forgot the error but it
mentioned the filesystem). I tried rebooting several times and then I tried
using xfs_repair and xfs_check. Those attempts returned "bad superblock and
input/output error." By googling and testing, I came to understand that I
have a bad superblock. I tried mounting the HD on another machine - and it
would not mount (or even be recognized correcty by YAST2.
However, the drive did get recognized by the BIOS, and if I use it as the
master, grub comes up and it dies right about the time it is trying to load
the filesystem.

I could not find anyone mentioning how to "fix" a superblock in XFS. Is it
possible for me to repair this filesystem, or am I SOL? The installation had
some nice information (bookmarks, history, special software installations)
and I would like to recover it if I can. Anyone?
Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com