[ale] Update on my attempts with a PC Server 704.

Michael Still michaelstill at tmail.com
Mon Nov 10 10:17:12 EST 2003

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 10:07am, John Cole wrote:
> Howdy all!
>
> Ok, I have now tried Redhat, Mandrake, Gentoo, and Slackware.  Redhat
> 7.3
> likes my system (SMP + SCSI HW Raid) but kernel panics on boot.
> Mandrake
> doesn't even see my SCSI drives so it can't progress.  Gentoo like my
> system
> only in Single-Processor mode and it sees my SCSI Raid adapter but no
> drives
> (nothing under /dev/sd*).  Slackware boots to setup (can't tell if it
> likes
> SMP), sees my SCSI Raid adapter, but no drives under /dev/sd*).
>
> Do the IBM ServeRAID need drivers to run in Linux?
>
> Does anyone have any other ideas or should I just give up on this
> hardware
> to install Linux onto?
Can you try different MPC (MPS?) versions? I think there should be 2 to
choose from. Try 1.1 and 1.4. These are usually found in the bios. From
my experience with smp using 1.1 seems to be better.

Also there might be options like secondary io-apic that might make a
difference.

I don't know anything about that raid controller.

Michael Still (MichaelStill at tmail.com