[ale] Debian or Slackware package management

Stuffed Crust pizza at shaftnet.org
Sat Nov 8 00:10:20 EST 2003

On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 11:59:03PM -0500, Jim Seymour wrote:
> of these has the easiest package manager to use when adding programs that
> are in tar form (ex: nmap-3.48.tar.gz).  I do like the idea of using a
> package manager to ease removal/updating/adding of programs.  So Debian's
> dh_make or Slackware's makepkg and why is it easier?  I had very little

Slackware's probably the simplest, while Debian's dpkg format is by far
the most complicated when to creating packages.

> success with creating rpm's (spec files, diffs, etc.) and hope there is an
> easier way.

RPM .spec files are pretty strightforward.  The problems you describe
would apply to any packaging system.

 - Pizza
--
Solomon Peachy                                   pizza at f*cktheusers.org
                                                           ICQ #1318444