[ale] Performance

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Fri Nov 7 20:25:54 EST 2003

Danny -

That's interesting and it kind of mirrors my recent experiences with
putting Gentoo on paperweights (P/60, P/100, P/ 133).  Working from
Stage 1 Gentoo installs, the kernel compile is just the tip of the
iceberg, but when the machine is so slow, you can run top, watch the
drive light, and follow what's going on.

It seemed as though, with a make -j of 2, disk I/O was only occasional.
It did probably amount to a significant percentage of time taken
overall, but the CPU was what was getting pounded and pounded hard, as
was the RAM at times (with a gcc -O of 3).

This is Gentoo-specific, but I did try to put /usr/portage on its own
~450MB drive (albeit a nice one - 5400RPM and five physical heads) and
formatted it as Reiser since the files in the portage tree tended to be
1-5K.  I can't prove that that helped emerges any but I felt like I was
doing the best I could do with the hardware on hand.

--
Jeff Hubbs <hbbs at comcast.net>