[ale] Fedora and RHN?

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Fri Nov 7 12:22:42 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 12:17, Geoffrey wrote:
> walter Sams wrote:
> > an interesting  concept, just hook up another HD and install on it. Then
> > you just remove the old HD?
> >
> > If I installed on a new HD for my server, can I point my new installed
> > OS to the data stored on the old drive, or do I need to migrate the
> > data  folders to the new HD/OS
>
> Possibly, but it's dependent on how the data is set up.  For example,
> for APPGEN, I think you'll need to backup/restore, because I believe
> some of the data is saved along with the code install path.

Good point.  I remember when I worked with Throughbred's Business
Basic.  I think it tied a serial number to its inode number.  If we did
a a backup and restore we had to register it again.  Even on the same
machine.

Some programs will even detect inodes and complain.  I believe snedmail
does this for /var/spool/mail/<files>.  I was able to link the directory
to a new drive but when I wanted to store my real INBOX in ~ and have a
link is /var/spool/mail, sendmail complained about this.