[ale] Fedora and RHN?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Nov 7 09:53:01 EST 2003

walter Sams wrote:
> Thank you for yoru reply, looks like you actually have an idea as to
> what needs to be done.

Yeah, BTDT..  The dual boot upgrade/install is the way I generally
update my existing boxes.  My primary box was upgraded in this fashion
from SuSE 8.1 to SuSE 8.2.  I've just installed SuSE 9.0 on my laptop,
thus it's a tri-boot with SuSE 9.0, RH 7.3 and the Xtremely Potent
variant of the Microsoft virus.

> <Once I am configured properly do I then uninstall RH?

Yes.  The reason for retaining the RH is so that if, for what ever
reason, you can't get the new install to 100% mimic your work
environment, you have an easy fall back.  It's not that I would expect
that to happen, just that you want your net under you when you're on the
high wire.  Just as you do backups.  Not that you expect to use them,
but just in case...

<snip>

>> If this is a production env, then that's not a likely solution.
>> What kind of down time can you afford?

> I run a heating and airconditioning contracting business
> and could probably do without my computers for a couple of days
> if needed.

It shouldn't take that long, but again, it's dependent on how much
unique stuff you've got on the various boxes.  I've got all kinds of
stuff hanging off my primary box (wacom tablet, usb scanner, modem, palm
sync cradle, capture/tv card/camera, usb camera, networking, dual head,
wireless keyboard/mouse..). I've done the dual boot upgrade in less than
1/2 a day.

<snip>

>> What are the boxes used for?

> The main server handles the accounting package and office suite
> and is the data storage location for all programs, the fax server
> handles the faxing and email (interoffice with only 1
> outside internet connection), clients can all run the accounting,
> office suite and evolution.

Okay, specifically, what are the packages? It can make a difference if
they are rpm based, or vendor provided installtions.

>> The clients would likely be pretty quick, as long as you're not
>> using them for too esoteric stuff.  What kind of downtime can you
>> afford?
>>
>> The dual boot is a reasonable conversion solution, if you've got
>> the disk space and can afford the downtime.  If you don't have the
>> spare disk space, you can purchase an extra drive, do the first
>> install on it, and then move the old drive to the next box,
>> install, and on down the line.<Sounds like the mandrake tech who
>> said that it was just a simple upgrade might not have known what he
>> was talking about?
>
> It looks like I need to look into this futher to determine everything
>  that needs to be done before actually installing anything.

Yes, you most certainly want to identify the specific packages and then
have them ready for the installation.  You'll also need to be absolutely
sure you back everything up.

> Do you have SWAG as to how long something like this would take, I
> might need to plan on having a shut down of my office.
>
> (SWAG= some wild ass guess)

It's highly dependent on the packages.  For example, the accounting
package.  You'll need to be sure that you've got the data backed up and
that there is a solution for migrating the existing data to the new install.

I would say you could likely complete it in a weekend, maybe faster.

Until later, Geoffrey	esoteric at 3times25.net