[ale] Linux Help Desk Call Apps?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Nov 6 12:25:52 EST 2003

That is where my app was headed. It supported a series of quizes
selected randomly from a test bank that was used for pre-lab "force the
student to read the lab book" testing. During the lab, the students
logged into the online lab notebook to record their observations and
data. If they had not taken the pre-lab quiz, they were locked out. The
final lab report page was sent by email as a PDF to each student in the
lab group.

The admin pages were still in development and are not ready for use by
anyone but a perl wizard :) Basically, the admin pages will allow a
teacher to design a lab notebook using modules (text entry, data forms,
data processing, graph box) and build multiple lab types from the basic
framework. The second admin page build test bank questions based on
topic headings. The 3rd page select topic heading for each quiz so that
quiz content can be modified quickly. The student data is tracked so
that the teacher can get the exact quiz and question/answer layout that
the student got.

It desperately needs to be rehacked to use a database instead of the
flat files that were getting unwieldy to maintain. There is also the
need for some javascript to add for some specialized error trapping and
to make the spreadsheet a bit easier to use.

A second app-in-progress was a hideous test bank program. Each question
had 15-30 answers to choose from. Each wrong answer could be arrived at
by a mistake. This allowed for partial credit on a multiple-choice test.
It also allowed for every student to get different numbers but basically
the same test with problems in different orders. It was only the real
hard-nosed instructors that liked that one. :)