[ale] still more building a new box woes

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Nov 6 10:45:58 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 10:33, Pete Hardie wrote:
Since the chipset is NVidia, use the nvidia drivers. They are not
opensource, but they work fantastically.

To get a _basic_ X running try "X -configure". That will test and
autoconfig and barebones XF86config file and tell you where it put it.
Be sure you set /etc/inittab to be a runlevel that is NOT X, for RedHat
based stuff, run level 3 is text, 5 is X, for Slack it's 2 and 4
respectively.

http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>