[ale] Re: Lexmark Z12 & RH 9

auto92089 at hushmail.com auto92089 at hushmail.com
Wed Nov 5 16:54:55 EST 2003

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 20:30:45 -0800 tfreeman at intel.digichem.net wrote:
>My girlfriend's computer died a while back,

You've got one of those three-dimensional versions?
Just think, if it weren't for her, you might be a printer guru. ;-)

>RH's printer config tool claims
>to know how to set up for the printer, but I have yet to get a test
>sheet printed.

Disclaimer: I'm not running RH9, I don't use GUIs, and all my Unix equipment
is too old to have USB (a/k/a "Firewire Lite").  If you're using something
other than lp (e.g. LPNG or whatever), best of luck.

What exactly have you tried?  Are you using the proper (usb-derived)
device file in /etc/printcap?  RH9 might assume that it's parallel-connected.
 Have you tried catting a properly formatted file to the device, or even
an ASCII text file?  At minimum if you get the device file right it should
change some LEDs on the printer's console.  Look in /etc/printcap for
where the error log is, too, then examine it.

>Anybody got a clue they want to share??

man 5 printcap

https://www.hushmail.com/services.php?subloc=messenger&l=434