[ale] laptop with dual monitor

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon May 5 09:44:53 EDT 2003

Fletch wrote:

>     Michael> Lots of laptops can support dual monitors, now.  In
>     Michael> windows, if you plug a monitor into the back you can get
>     Michael> two displays--one on the LCD and a different one on the
>     Michael> monitor.  Windows can be dragged from one display to the
>     Michael> other.
>
> ATI Mobility chipsets can do this under Wintendo, but they can't (and
> from what I've been able to find out the last time I went looking
> won't for the conceivable future) do it under XFree86.  I know because
> I've got a Vaio with a Mobility M that I'd really like to use dual
> headed (because I've gotten spoiled with my two headed GeForce 4400 at
> home).

Have you checked out the gatos drivers?  I don't know which mobility
card you have, but here's a list from the gatos page:

These drivers should work fine with any Mach64, Rage128 or Radeon card,
in particular:

     * All-in-Wonder classic (Mach64): XvImage, TV-in (NTSC)
     * All-in-Wonder Rage128 16mb (Rage128): XvImage, TV-in (NTSC)
     * All-in-Wonder Rage128 Pro 32mb (Rage128): XvImage, TV-in (NTSC)
     * All-in-Wonder Radeon (Radeon): XvImage, TV-in (NTSC)
     * Rage Mobility-P (Mach64): XvImage
     * Rage Mobility-M3 (Rage128): XvImage
     * Radeon 64mb: XvImage

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net