[ale] OT: megapixels

Josh Freeman josh at catea.org
Mon May 5 09:41:43 EDT 2003

IT all gets down to what resolution I want. "Screen resolution" can be
assumed to be fairly low: 72 pixels per inch is fairly common, and I
think this is what Gimp assumes. Digital photographs have to be printed
at a much higher resolution to look good on paper. When I was working on
the Georgia Tech newspaper, I think we scanned all our photography at
around 250 pixels per inch, and I think this is what the yearbook uses
now.  I can get a pretty good 8"x10" from my 2 megapixel camera.  This
camera is all I need for taking pictures at parties and such as that. I
would want something along the lines of a Nikon D-100 (6 megapixels) or
the new Kodak 14 megapixel job if I was 1)independently wealthy and 2)
doing serious portrait or artistic photography.

Megapixels are like memory. Get all that you can afford. You will always
find a use for them.

On Mon, 2003-05-05 at 09:23, Robert Coggins wrote:
> The only reason I can really think of is when you need to crop an area of
> the picture then resize the new area.  I would hate to have a beautiful
> picture and not be able to print a smaller area of it.
>
> -Rob

Josh Freeman
Technical Manager
Center for Assistive Technology and Environmental Access