[ale] Suse or Red Hat? (yes, yes, i know here we go again...)

Preston Boyington PBoyington at polyengineering.com
Thu Jun 19 15:57:27 EDT 2003

> I am very interested in understanding how to upgrade and downgrade
> software right now.  I need to downgrade gcc from 3.3-23 to
> 2.96 or get
> them to live side by side.  If I could apt-rpm gcc2.96 and it
> would do
> what was needed, I would jump for joy.
>
> Dow

is Suse rpm based?  (yes, that's how little i know of it)  how easy is it to upgrade/update?  being an ignorant debian user (yes, it's possible) i "apt-get" whatever i need and haven't had _any_ problems with dependancy issues or having to locating some obscure file.  i am trying to be careful as i don't want my friend to call me from 40 miles away at 9:00pm with a problem.

will apt4rpm work with Suse?  i am guessing that mp3's and dvd's play easily?  or will i have to update the features myself?

Preston