[ale] Bad business

Robert Heaven robertheaven at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 31 22:47:04 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-01-31 at 22:20, Geoffrey wrote:

> I don't understand why corporate America doesn't get it.  Those folks
> you lay off, will not be able to feed your money machine.

The problem is, you're looking at the long view... The greedy corporate
executives can't see that far ahead. The only thing they are concerned
about is the short term impacts on their balance sheets. (aka, their
stock options)

Here's the way they see it.
1. They ship some jobs overseas and cut some costs. Effect: fast gains
on increased profits because of the time lag between cause and effect.
2. So what if the American public can't buy their products anymore
because they're out of work. All these people in India, etc. that are
now perspectively rich by comparison, now have lots of money to spend on
consumer goods.

So, in effect, these greedy executives have killed 2 birds with one
stone. They've reaped a quick profit here in the US and created a whole
new consumer market in India.