[ale] Bellsouth to Speakeasy?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Jan 25 13:21:20 EST 2003

There seems to be some confusion over this. Pretty much all ISP's that
do not want to have their address space wind up on a blackhole list do
the following:

They REQUIRE that their clients (that means YOU) send your email THROUGH
their smtp servers.

If you try and send email directly from your DSL account, that is viewed
as spam.

The will block your source port 25 from going anywhere EXCEPT their smtp
servers.

If you want to run your own mail server, you _must_ set up the Smart
Host relay to point to the smtp server for your ISP.

This is used to allow traffic monitoring of smtp data. If a user account
begins spewing 3000 emails a day, they pretty much know it is crap and
can block that account quickly and automatically.

This above discussion is only relevant to non-commercial accounts. Most
commercial accounts have few, if any, filters applied.

According to BellSouth docs back when I used them, they block port 25 as
discussed above and don't for commercial accounts. I also know that
Earthlink does the same. Most of my other ISP encounters are with
commercial systems so I can't comment on places like Speakeasy and
others.