[ale] Web Server Questions

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Sat Jan 25 12:57:29 EST 2003

Calvin Harrigan said:
> 1. The first is what distribution should I used for the base platform?
> What version?  I'm partial to gentoo myself, but I'm open to other
> suggestions.

I use redhat...if for nothing else than the ease of using rhn to keep the
system up to date.

> 2.  Should I use apache 1.x or 2.x?  Should I rpm, apt-get, emerge, or
> compile from scratch?

Apache 1.x.  Php support for 2.x is not quite there yet.

> 3.  As far as MySQL I thinking the latest stable version would be fine,
> Comments are welcome here as well.

Depends on what you're doing.  4.0 is currently in gamma....considered
pretty stable and provides some features 3.x doesn't have.  Read the
feature list on mysql.com.  If you need 4.0 features, go with it.  If not,
go with the latest 3.x.

> 4.  PHP/Perl plugins for apache are available, what versions are
> considered stable/secure?

The latest PHP, 4.3.0.  Don't know about mod_perl, but typically I hold to
"latest is greatest" ;-).  Mind you, not always the case.

> Thanks for any info.

np, ;-)

John