[ale] Still dealing with Nextel

cfowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu Jan 23 12:48:32 EST 2003

Who needs a stinkin client?.  SNPP, SMTP, and POP3 and what I would call
transaction based interfaces.  This makes SNPP that more awesome.  It
means you can interface with telnet, Java, Perl, or even C.

Basically in Java do this:

try {
 Socket s = new Socket("snpp.nextel.com", 443);
 BufferedInputStream bis = new BufferedInputStream(s.getInputStream());
 BufferedOutputStream bos = new
BufferedOutputStream(s.getOutputStream());

 // Know we have stream
 String s = bis.readLine();

 PAGE <Number>
 MESS <message>
 SEND
 QUIT

 // MAke sure after sending each command you get a 2XX respoinse back.
Just check the first 3 bytes in the bis.readLine() and convert to an
integer.  Then you can check the the number against 2XX.

Example Page I just did to Nextel, your carrier

[cfowler at cfowler - CHROOT insmod]$ telnet snpp.nextel.com 444
Trying 170.206.252.7...
Connected to snpp.nextel.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 SNPP Gateway Ready
page 7705601050
250 Pager ID Accepted
MESS Call me
250 Message OK
SEND
250 Message Sent Successfully
QUIT
221 OK, Goodbye
Connection closed by foreign host.

With ease of use like that, who needs freshmeat to solve this one?

That simple.