[ale] DSL Modem problem

Ben Coleman oloryn at benshome.net
Tue Jan 14 18:04:36 EST 2003

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 23:27:29 -0500, Nick Travis wrote:

>I'm trying to setup a new Alcatel SpeedTouch home, I had one in the past but it fell
>victim to lighting, I replaced it with a Westell speedwire, which turned out to be
>defective, it won't stay synced for more than an houre, Bellsouth sent me another
>speedtouch and I now can't get it to connect, the modem syncs, but I can't get a
>connection, here's what I've tried so far... 1) using all of the same cables tested the
>old modem, it still connects fine, 2) installed the latest version of roaring penguin, 3)
>increased the timeout in the config file, 4) tried it on another linux system at my
>house,

I presume it worked OK on this other Linux system?

 5) followed the directions on DSLreports for configuring the
modem(multiple
>times) 6) and I even went as far as to hook it up to my XP box, and it was able to
>establish a connection and work normally.

Any possibility the NIC in this Linux system (acting as your firewall,
I presume) that's connected to the SpeedTouch home is flaky or bad?

>When I run the start up script this is what
>my log shows:
>Jan 13 22:46:02 localhost pppd[14177]: pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid 0
>Jan 13 22:46:02 localhost pppd[14177]: Using interface ppp0
>Jan 13 22:46:02 localhost pppd[14177]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/2
>Jan 13 22:46:33 localhost pppd[14177]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
>Jan 13 22:46:33 localhost pppd[14177]: Connection terminated.
>Jan 13 22:46:37 localhost pppoe[14178]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
>Jan 13 22:46:37 localhost pppd[14177]: Exit.

The 'Timeout waiting for PADO packets' indicates to me that either your
linux machine isn't hearing packets from the SpeedTouch Home, or the
Speedtouch Home isn't hearing packets from your Linux system's NIC.
Given that this modem works with other systems (using the same cables,
I believe?) I'd suspect something with the NIC (either it is faulty, or
you're got something wrong with its configuration - perhaps the IRQ is
specified wrong?), or that you've got the PPPOE software configured
with the wrong ethernet port (you can send PADI packets all day long to
the local LAN, and never get a PADO response).  You can use

pppoe -I eth? -A

(replacing ? with the appropriate number) to see if you get a PADO
response from sending a PADI to a particular ethernet port.

Ben
--
Ben Coleman oloryn at benshome.net      | The attempt to legislatively
http://oloryn.home.mindspring.com/   | micromanage equality results, at