[ale] DSL Modem problem

Ben Coleman oloryn at benshome.net
Tue Jan 14 18:13:40 EST 2003

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 08:06:05 -0500 (EST), John Wells wrote:

>Is this the external ethernet alcatel modem from bellsouth?  If so, I've
>been using one with roaring penguin for approx. 1 year with no problems.

I've been using one for about 2.5 years on a Mindspring/Earthlink
account.  The only gotcha I've seen is that you need to keep them away
from strong magnetic fields.  I had a problem for awhile where the
modem would occasionally freeze up or quit listening to the Ethernet
port(which appears much the same, from the Ethernet side).  Turns out
that this can be caused by magnetic fields such as you might get from
sitting it by a monitor or power supply.  When Earthlink tech support
told me this, I was skeptical, but tried it, and I haven't seen a
freeze since I moved the modem away from my monitor.

(Actually, I've seen one other gotcha - it tends to lose the connection
when I fire up my ham radio gear on 20 meters, but I suspect a bit of
judicious grounding and routing of cabling would probably deal with
that.)

Ben
--
Ben Coleman oloryn at benshome.net      | The attempt to legislatively