[ale] RAM vs CPU problem identification link

J.M. Taylor jtaylor at onlinea.com
Sun Jan 5 20:12:57 EST 2003

The main link is

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-hw1/
CPU and memory troubleshooting
by: Daniel Robbins (drobbins at gentoo.org)
President/CEO, Gentoo Technologies, Inc.
March 2001

He has many incredibly useful links throughout the article. I was
impressed, and it accurately diagnosed my memory problem.  (memtest86
found an absurd number of errors, too)

I have to say, I may be an AMD fan for life.  The processor that's been
running painfully hot for over a month is doing beautifully. It was the
RAM that was horribly dead.

I've recompiled the kernel a couple of times and done some other processor
intensive stuff since replacing the RAM, and the CPU is just chugging
right along.

Jenn