[ale] OT: winxp upgrade version from scratch?

David S. Jackson dsj at sylvester.dsj.net
Sun Jan 5 19:26:40 EST 2003

I have a friend whose existing Win98 fe installation is pretty well and
truly hosed.  I recommended that he dump 98fe to something a little more
stable, and XP was all there was in the store.  His 98 installation is
so hosed that I don't think it would support an XP upgrade.  Can I just
reformat the partition and install XP to a fresh partition and let XP
ask me for an original 98 CD to prove he qualifies for the upgrade?
Will the upgrade version of XP even do that?  Or will it require that he
gets the "full version" of XP?

I don't want to make things any worse for him than they are, so I'd
better know that info up front before I wipe the partition for him.  :-)

TIA!

David S. Jackson                        dsj at dsj.net