[ale] who is the fastest bash scripter?

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Wed Feb 26 10:43:23 EST 2003

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 08:05:00PM -0500, David S. Jackson wrote:
> How about just using zgrep instead of calling tar or gunzip or whatever?
>
> zgrep -H <classname> *.jar

Unfortunately, that won't work.  The 'z' commands (zgrep, zcat, zless,
zmore, ...) only uncompress files that were compressed with zlib, which
is what gzip uses.  Jar files use PKZip compression, an entirely
different scheme.

On the other hand, grep <classname> *.jar works.

Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9