[ale] one or many...

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Dec 31 17:33:43 EST 2003

Jim Popovitch wrote:
> Geoffrey wrote:
>
>> By making / a separate partition:
>>
>> You protect your / from being filled up by logs or stupid users.
>> Makes things a bit easier when backing up individual partitions.
>>
>> At least put /var /home on different partitions.
>

> A couple of extra points...  I will be the only user on this system.
>  It is my laptop, and it won't be running any services (not even
> sshd). Logging, if any, will be a minimum, so I am not worried about
> filling up /var/log.   What I am worried about is any
> filesystem/mount-point overhead, as well as delays associated with
> moving large files from /home to /opt, or elsewhere.    The arguments
> for separate filesystems are very strong when building servers and
> multi-user workstations, I just don't see the same arguments when
> building laptops for individual use.

Under such circumstances, I would tend to agree.  One thing I have done
in the past though that has proven useful is to have a separate /home.
Then when I wanted to upgrade to a new release, I backup /home, remove
the mount reference and reload /home on the /home dir.

Now I have a free filesystem to do a complete new install while saving
my current environment.

Until later, Geoffrey	esoteric at 3times25.net