[ale] OT: OT OT OT and very long! Anybody sick today?

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Wed Dec 31 13:31:14 EST 2003

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, Greg wrote:

> where I am spending more time editing errors then typing. The reason ? -
> trying to get a decent OS on my SunBlade 100. Debian CD's are a no-go and no
> one but Sun & Solaris can get the dammed floppy drive to work.  What a
> dichotomy of architecture - the best and worst in one box.

They don't boot off floppy anyway, AFAIK.

To get it going, you'll need the right OBP revision level (4.5.9 works for
me, later doesn't). Alternately, if you have a SCSI card for it with a
OBP-compatible PROM on it, the OBP issue is only with IDE CD-ROM drives. You
might also find that a different IDE CD-ROM fixes it (though not all IDE
CD-ROM drives work in Suns that support IDE -- good luck!).

There's also often issues with the Debian CDs. You'll usually have more luck
with the latest ones, at
<http://www.phunnypharm.org/pub/for/sparc-folks/disks-sparc/>.

In general, your best bet is network install.

later,
chris