[ale] OT: OT OT OT and very long! Anybody sick today?

rhiannen rhiannen at atlantacon.org
Tue Dec 30 13:54:06 EST 2003

Many cancers attack the very young (leukemia, anyone?)

We have much better protection against exposure than we used to.

We understand the problems with hygiene and sewage control in overcrowded and
overpopulated urban centers much better than we used to (BTW, checked out the
death rate in the severely poor and congested inner city centers of India or the
South American or African countries lately?)

The idea that everyone ate lots of fruits and vegetables 100 years ago is an
easily idsproven fallacy. Most people did _not_ primarily eat fresh fruits and
veggies before refrigeration. Mostly, only the rich or country people ate such a
wide variety of foods. The majority of people ate mostly grains and breads and
other long storing and relatively cheap foods (like potatos or winter squash)
supplemented mainly with and salted or otherwise preserved meats. Fruits were
considered special occasion treats. Not exactly a balanced diet.

Since refrigeration and coast to coast shipping (trucks/trains/planes) fruits
and vegetables have become more available and much cheaper for the average
person.

I look at it this way, what harm is there is NOT eating a bunch of chemically
laden over processed stuff?  Besides, to my taste buds, organic bananas just
taste so much better than those fake banana flavored sweetbreads and powerbars
they sell at the convenience stores. ;)

----
rhia
Excuse me, please.  What universe is this?