[ale] OT: Anybody sick today?

Matthew Magee mattmagee.md at netzero.net
Tue Dec 30 09:50:11 EST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "ChangingLINKS.com" <groups at ChangingLINKS.com>
To: "Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts" <ale at ale.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 12:44 AM
Subject: Re: [ale] OT: Anybody sick today?

> > > However, usually it greatly increases cholesterol.  If you go on the
diet
Physical

> > > I call "myth."
> > My cholesterol was measured via standard scientific methods.  No myth
> > in the numbers.  Anyone at risk (almost everyone on this list) should
> > spend the few hundred dollars to get their cholesterol checked.  An
> > extra 10 years of life could be the result...now back to our regularly
> > scheduled geekdom.
> >
> > Bob
>
> My reaction was to your use of the word "usually."
> I was not doubting that your cholesterol level was raised.
> The point is you seem to blame the diet, claiming it "usually" raises the
level.
> Then, you tell us that your doctor blamed the diet as well, and told you
to stay off it.
> And while respecting those facts, I posed two questions:
>
> The logical question is "how can you raise your cholesterol if you are
eating less of it?"

This question reminds me of what people said about the negative effects of
emissions reducing equipment on 1970's vintage cars.  When the automakers
were forced to reduce emissions in the early 70's, their methods had the
unfortunate effect of making the engines less fuel efficient.  The question
was (and still is) "how can you burn more fuel, but make less pollution?"
The answer is simple...... it's how you combine it.  If I read right, the
atkins diet is supposed to "reprogram" your body to be more efficient with
its food.  The idea is that all those carbs screw around with your
metabolism, and make you fat indirectly by ruining your chemistry.  So, the
very reason that the Atkins diet can work for one factor (weight) it could
have an adverse effect on another factor (cholesterol).  Your body is not
simply a cholesterol collection device.  It processes cholesterol based on
many factors.   This logically explains why some people can take drastic
measures to reduce their cholesterol intake and take medication, but still
have outrageously high levels in their bloodstream.  This being true, I can
see how it could be posssible that even if you take in less cholesterol, you
may end up with more in your system.

Maybe Dow could shed some light on this, as he is a chemistry guy.

> The second question is "if you are eating more cholesterol on the diet . .
. why?"