[ale] OT: Re: posting to Linux mail list

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Dec 19 08:56:46 EST 2003

I'll let you know.  I'll give you my perspective.  I personally see
Microsoft as a marketing company that tries to write software.  You'll
not get a lot of pleasant responses from me or, I suspect from this group.

What Microsoft does not understand is that many intelligent folks do not
like the way you (Microsoft) do business.  So, it would not matter much
if Microsoft were to make better products.  Your exclusionary
contractual efforts alienate many folks.  I dislike your products
because they are lousy.  I hate Microsoft because of the way they do
business.  There's a huge difference in dislike and hate.

The problem is, Microsoft misses the larger issue.  You folks need to
focus on doing business right, then worry about making your products
better.  You want help?  Publish the formats of the Office documents so
that Microsoft can truly provide an opportunity for competition.  Quit
locking technologies into your platform and locking others out.  Why
would anyone want to provide you people any assistance when you don't
reciprocate?  Are you folks really that clueless?

I personally would love to see Microsoft crash and burn, and am looking
forward to it.  So, you'll not get any assistance from me.  We'll see
what the balance of the group thinks...

Oh, by the way.  Many folks think of Linux users as young college
hackers with nothing better to do.  I personally spent 26 years with
AT&T, 5 of which were with the Labs.  Extensive software development
experience.  I have since left AT&T and have started my own consulting
business.  Doing my best to educate people regarding their choices of
products.  Just finished setting up a Linux file server for a property
management company that had been an all Microsoft shop. The are looking
very hard at Linux desktops with OpenOffice.  It will save them a lot of
money and a lot of headaches.

For those of you on the ALE list, feel free to let Mr. Surkan know how
you would like to assist Microsoft in extending their monopoly...