[ale] OT: spam from msn??

Mike Murphy mike at tyderia.net
Thu Dec 11 11:31:51 EST 2003

chances are its not actually coming from MSN. Check the full headers to
see if the message really originated from MSN or not (and remember, many
mail servers don't check to see if your mailer is who it says it is --
in other words the claimed hostname may be something at msn.com, but if
you check the reverse dns entry of the IP it won't be).

It is likely that a spammer has just latched onto this particular
identity to use for his return address. This is a common practice these
days: some spam preventitives require that bounces work. In other words,
send a message to a server somewhere that bounces, then have the mailer
fail to deliver that bounce, and your return address goes on a
blacklist. So a spammer will find a good return address, and use that,
so when bad addresses bounce, they have somewhere to go. @msn.com and
@earthlink.com are good addresses to use for this reason, since they
have very strong spam preventitives themselves, and the victim of this
practice often has no idea that they are getting 1000s of bounces a day.

*if* it turns out the emails seem to actually be coming MSN, then
believe it or not, MSN's anti-spam department (and yes, they have a
whole department dedicated to stopping spam) will be interested. Go
ahead and send it to abuse at msn.com, with a full copy of the email
including headers, and a blurb describing the behavior you've seen
similar to the one below.

Mike

--

Mike Murphy