[ale] Using existing Windows partition in vmware

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Tue Dec 2 10:43:25 EST 2003

On Tuesday 02 December 2003 10:10, Dow Hurst wrote:
> That is amazing!  So it must provide the driver set for its virtual
> hardware but use the actual install.  Weird.  I'll have to look into
> this.  Does it perform better than a normal virtual machine?

Depends on RAM. If you have a lot and can allocate at least 512 to the
guest and still have enough to spare on the host for decent caching, I
find that plain disks (pre-allocated virtual disks) perform better than
raw disks in many cases. It really depends on what you are using it for.
I suspect that on most systems with less than 1GB or RAM, the raw disk
guest will perform better though.

--
Jonathan Rickman
Key ID: 0DF501FF