[ale] IT department

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Aug 27 06:10:39 EDT 2003

George Johnson wrote:
> To All:
>
>      I have run into an opportunity to assist with starting an IT
> department for a small business in Fla.  These are a couple of friends
> of mine that I have known for several years.  My problem is I have never
> started an IT department and need info on how to do so.  I have looked
> at Amazon.com, Microcenter, and other book stores for books or magazines
> on how to do it but only have found a PDF download so far.  I do plan on
> using Linux as much as possible even on laptops with Vmware running xp
> to keep one of the guys happy and in touch with his ACT software, for
> which I wish I could find a Linux replacement.  Any assistance with
> direct info or books etc would be appreciated.

How large is the company?  A lot depends on what the business does, what
their needs are.  I don't know that you need any books.  Common sense
will be your best tool.  Your only problem will be if it's more then a
one man job.  There is plenty of software out there that could replace
ACT.  I was checking out an addon to my palm last night that combines
the scheduling, calendar and phone book of the palm into such a package.

I'll say this, although it would likely be painful for the windows guys,
you're better off going all Linux then to try and mix that stuff.  Samba
is a wonderful tool, but M$ is working very hard to break it with every
bug, er, patch they put out.

I'm sure they'll want stuff networked, if you don't have that expertise,
you'll need to farm it out.  I don't think that's something you can
learn on the fly.

You've got to consider internet connectivity, which means finding an
isp.  You'll need a firewall, something else to think about.  A home
grown firewall would be sweet, but a small business is not the place you
want to start learning about such services.

Do they want file sharing? A print server?  A lot of questions that need
to be answered.  Do they have any special needs? (scanners, security
issues, specialized hardware).

Are you going there to do this?

Not a log of help, but a lot of questions you need to think about.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...