[ale] NVidia Driver Install - SuSE (mismatched compiler)

ChangingLINKS.com x3 at ChangingLINKS.com
Fri Aug 15 13:03:30 EDT 2003

1. If you have to stick to Nvidia, use the new drivers they do work (I forgot
how).
2. FYI: Open source drivers work very well. I currently have (gee, I forgot
because they are sooo trouble free) I have. . .. 128MB 3D video cards running
open source drivers and I get better performance than Nvidia (who has
recently been found guilty of inflating their benchmarks by as much as 21%).
Since exterminating close source software from my computer, I have had 0
problems with my video. It runs faster and is more stable and the quality is
great - I saw the reflective surfaces in Descent3 that I care so much about.

My cards are not the brand, I think they are remade by Powersomething.
ATI !!!! (I had to use Yast just to remember). I highly recommend ATI 128MB
cards with open source drivers. I have them in all of my machines and (I do
not work for ATI or own their stock - why does everyone disclose that?). They
work great, install in Suse automatically and are completely hassle free.

Drew

On Friday 15 August 2003 11:44, BruceG wrote:
> On Friday 15 August 2003 11:53, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> > What you need to do is to compile a kernel , load and run that kernel,
> > then install the nVidia drivers. It won't work (usually) with the stock,
> > shipping kernels unless the entire distro on your machine is not changed
> > since the install.
>
> Darn!!! That's the reason I decided to bail on Mandrake! I liked it other
> than my hacking it up a little too regularly (my own fault). The last straw
> was in compiling a new kernel. I downloaded the new source, did a make
> oldconfig, make modules, make modules_install, modified LILO to pull in the
> new kernel (and I forget what else). It was about 98% there, but I hosed
> something or other - still don't know what, just that MCC didn't work.
>
> Guess it can't hurt to try it again. Hopefully I learned something last
> time, although I don't remember what it was I learned. Think I might stay
> away from 3D games until I'm ready to give it a shot, and just keep the
> current drivers.

Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com