[ale] NVidia Driver Install - SuSE (mismatched compiler)

BruceG griffisb at bellsouth.net
Fri Aug 15 12:44:14 EDT 2003

On Friday 15 August 2003 11:53, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> What you need to do is to compile a kernel , load and run that kernel,
> then install the nVidia drivers. It won't work (usually) with the stock,
> shipping kernels unless the entire distro on your machine is not changed
> since the install.

Darn!!! That's the reason I decided to bail on Mandrake! I liked it other than
my hacking it up a little too regularly (my own fault). The last straw was in
compiling a new kernel. I downloaded the new source, did a make oldconfig,
make modules, make modules_install, modified LILO to pull in the new kernel
(and I forget what else). It was about 98% there, but I hosed something or
other - still don't know what, just that MCC didn't work.

Guess it can't hurt to try it again. Hopefully I learned something last time,
although I don't remember what it was I learned. Think I might stay away from
3D games until I'm ready to give it a shot, and just keep the current
drivers.