[ale] NVidia Driver Install - SuSE (mismatched compiler)

BruceG griffisb at bellsouth.net
Fri Aug 15 13:07:13 EDT 2003

On Friday 15 August 2003 11:53, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> What you need to do is to compile a kernel , load and run that kernel,
> then install the nVidia drivers. It won't work (usually) with the stock,
> shipping kernels unless the entire distro on your machine is not changed
> since the install.

Okay - let's give this a shot. I installed SuSE last night, and have not
touched the kernel. But - to compile it (so I can then compile and load
nVidia drivers) - I THINK I would do the following (after reading Running
Linux book and looking at the HowTo):

Go to the kernel source directory:
cd /usr/src/linux-2.4.20.SuSE

Run make config. For me, I will leave all current options as is, so I would do
a "make oldconfig".

Do a "make dep" to check dependencies

Do "make clean" (shouldn't have to, haven't compiled any kernels yet - but
can't hurt).

Do "make modules"
Do "make modules_install"
Do "make bzImage"

Questions:
I don't want to move my linux directory to linux.old, do I? Would I copy it?
How do I save the current image in case of the inevitable problems?

I have a good idea of how to modify LILO to boot a new kernel, but am using
GRUB with SuSE. How do I modify GRUB?