[ale] Searching for C exp.

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Mon Apr 21 16:23:41 EDT 2003

Awesome question.  My father is a good example.  He wanted to get into
woodworking and needed some projects to get into.  He built us a
changing table.  Looks awesome.

To learn something you really need a project.  Reading helps but it
wasn't until I dived into it headfirst did I learn it.

1) Think of a tool you need that does not exist and create it as
   and OSS proggie.
2) Instead of recreating a program that exists, jump on a OSS project.
3) I may have some C code for you to write.  I ahve a couple of projects
   that are OSS.
   a) FireDisk.
      Single floppy firewall.  Chuck Huber has been working on this
      recently.  He has made great progress. The idea is to create a
      firewall that works like a network applicance.
   b) SetiDisk.
      Single disk seti at home client that reports back via UDP to a
      SetiDisk server. Chuck & I run many clients and found it
      difficult to manage it all. We wrote SetiDisk to help that
   c) G-Palm & G-PC.
      This is an OSS project that I'm writing for my father that sends
      and receives G-Code to CNC type machines.  G-Palm is for the Palm
      G-PC is for the PC.  G-Palm is 100% C.  G-PC is 95% Java and 5%
      C via JNI.

Chris