[ale] - [semi-OT] contract vs. permanent work

msmith at mikeandmel.com msmith at mikeandmel.com
Mon Oct 28 12:57:03 EST 2002

>From my years of experience:

Contracting:
- More Freedom
- More Money typically
- Less Stability(usually the first to get laid off but
not always...)
- You have to research and pay for all your plans
- Sometimes there are issues with things like home
equity loans and credit cards since you are self
employed

Perm:
- Less Freedom
- Less Money typically
- More Stability(although this is not completely true
these days)
- You have plans that typically cost less

My favorite situation is having a permanent job that
allows for me to have a side contract....

Jason Vinson wrote:

> This morning I received an email about possible
> contract work, and I
> wanted to see what you folks thought about the pros
and

href="http://mail.mikeandmel.com/jump/http://www.ale.org/mailing-lists.shtml">http://www.ale.org/mailing-lists.shtml</a> for more
> info. Problems should be
> sent to listmaster at ale dot org.