[ale] about through with passwords and new uesrs

John Mills jmmills at telocity.com
Thu Oct 17 22:11:46 EDT 2002

Stephen -

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, Stephen Turner wrote:

> ok perhaps i dont understand this right, to create a user you have to
> specify a password, and to be able to specify that password you first have
> to feed it into crypt? then take an encoded password from there and insert
> it manually into your new user account?? are you serious? theres no easy
> adduser normalpass username -flaggs way? i must have a broken package.
> theres no way thats the usual way to do it and useradd wouldnt have it
> automated in thier system!

I had always done this in two steps:

# useradd [numerous options, including password] <username>
# passwd <username>
 (and get prompted)

That should create their $HOME and generally set them up to at least
login.

Now I've gotten a bit spoiled with the User Manager in RH-7.3 that allows
me to add users to groups and set most everything I ever bother with at
the GUI.

 - John Mills